Verizon Wireless operates the nation's fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network. A leader in wireless voice and data services, the company:
- Launched its 4G LTE network in 38 markets and more than 60 airports in December 2010. The company is expanding its 4g LTE network to an additional 140 markets in 2011, including metropolitan Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids and Lansing. Verizon will cover its entire 3G network footprint with 4G LTE by the end of 2013.
- Built the nation's first wide-area wireless broadband network.
- Delivered the nation's first wireless consumer 3G multimedia service.
- Offers global voice and data services in more than 200 destinations around the world.
About 4G LTE
4G is the fourth generation of wireless network technology. Verizon Wireless has chosen LTE as its 4G network because we feel it will best deliver the optimized performance, advanced applications and innovative devices that our customers expect from us.
Verizon's 4G LTE network brings:
- Faster upload and download speeds (10 times faster than our 3G network): 5 to 12 Mbps from network to device; 2 to 5 Mbps from device to network.
- More bandwidth and greater throughput to handle large data loads.
- A network latency below 50 ms that delivers a responsiveness equivalent to wireline connections.
- A consistent wireless environent wherever we build our 4G LTE network.
- Service compatibility across disparate networks, including global wireline, wireless, fiber and private networks.
- A reliable, consistent data connection between our 4G and 3G networks, so you can access the data-intensive applications, services and information your organization needs for enhanced business performance.
LTE Innovation Center
Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network creates new possibilities for the way we live, work and play. The LTE Innovation Center is a catalyst to help designers and developers make those possibilities a reality. Focusing on products that have not traditionally had wireless connectivity, the LTE Innovation Center connect players within the LTE ecosystem and provides select companies a state-of-the-art environment to develop their products and services with 4G LTE connectivity.
Verizon Developer Community
The Verizon Develop Community brings developers, network and technology experts, and OEMs together to talk about what's going on in the mobile application space. With more than 6,000 members, the VDC helps developers deliver applications to market through the V Cast Apps mobile storefront, and by continuing to open its network with APIs and other tools, services and developer enablers.